Thursday, October 21, 2004

Vivarium Galore

So, my new Next Big Project (tm) is going to be a vivarium(minus the animals) in the 20 gallon hexagonal tank (18x16x20in) that I inherited from Robin, Jay, and Anita. I'm pretty sure its an All-Glass, so I'm going to have to order a lid for it from my local pet store.
Theres an interesting waterfall/pump/fogger (ooh, fancy!) set from Exo Terra that costs about 50$. At 10x10x13 in, this is going to be the centerpeice of the vivarium. They seem to be cheap at Reptile Supply
There's fake jungle vines that you can pick up from the local petstore that I'm going to use to give it a deeper feel, but I'd really love a hunk of Ghost Wood which does well in very wet habitats and usually grows moss. (even some Cypress Wood would be cool), but these cost about 20$ a peice
You can also buy sheets of dried moss from the petstore that I'm going to attach to the back of my aquarium, not sure if I'll do it on one or two sides, but I can attach air plants in there. In my research, a great place to buy plants is: Black Jungle
As for the floor, I'm going to use Terra-Lite (expanded clay mix) for drainage, then ground coconut fiber as soil for the plants.
Of course, to top it off, I bought some small plastic jurassic park dinosaur figures to put in there. I've always wanted to do that :)
I'm excited. Now all I need is a lot of money..

No comments: