Thursday, December 16, 2004

SolarWolf

This game is going to scratch an itch.
In explanation: I just finished exams and this semester (woohoo, and thank god), so I'm trying to decide what to do with my 3 weeks off with the requirements that it involves coding in python. I've been meaning to write a game for a while, with the major setback that Blender doesn't seem to work on my laptop (but it does on all other computers, annoyingly). Blender was going to be too much of a learning curve anyways.
So, in a fit of Not Studying (tm), I played SolarWolf on Jim's Suze computer. Long story short, I was impressed by its cleaness, quickness, prettyness, pleasing to the earness, and other important things (like good gameplay). I immediately wanted to find out what it was made with, and to my pleasant surprize, found out it was written with pygame. [Well then, dad, you win.] My initial impressions of pygame, based on a quick download of one of their demo games was that it was clunky. This was a long time ago, and I think I was grouping it in with my initial impression of pythonCard, which was definitely not what I was looking for as a GUI solution (but now looks a lot better than I remember as well, and I recomended it to someone for some project they were doing).
To all those who worked on these projects: Great job, and thanks!
After reading an article on getting into game programming, now my plan for x-mas break is writing a Tetris clone. (muahahaha) My unique (maybe, probably not) spin on it is going to be a library of other pieces you can choose. (meaning other than the standard tetraminoes) I'm definitely going to build in a highscores thing so me and Rachel can battle to the death.. (still haven't come up with a name though)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

To the Death! Mwahahaha!

But first, you have to build it. ^_^

That sounds REALLY cool, you really absolutely have my *most* rapt anticipation. Me want Linden-Tetris. o_0

I've never heard of anyone having a library of pieces to pick from, but then I haven't gone tetris-clone-hunting in quite a while. On account of, y'know, wanting to actually do other stuff besides play puzzle games. My skill may be great, but somehow does not strike me as overly practical should, like, civilization fall.
However big my ego is on the subject. ^_^