Sunday, December 19, 2004

Game Pieces

Here's a teaser. I spent 5 hours last night hacking a program to create all my tetris pieces for me, with any size, colors, and shapes I want. It even rotates it and draws the shading on the bevels correctly. PyGame is great. (It would have taken me much less, but I spent like 2 hours fiddling with a couple different math modules trying to get it to rotate a 2d array.. should have paid more attention in CSE 485 before I dropped it ^^)
Anyways, this piece is one of the new tetraminoes, thats going to be worth 3x the points, because it forces you to have a hole.
[For anyone interested, the script to make the peices is underdocumented and here]

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Ooh! I like already. The forced-hole thing is to my knowledge totally original, & muchly fun sounding. ^_^ Sorta Qube-ish, but harder.
How fast do you think a game like this might run on older processors (ie, my 333mHz laptop, or the 450mHz Smurf, both all RAMed up).
More of a general question about how fast these PyGame games run in general, really.

Linden said...

Yeah, its something I've wanted out of a tetris style game for a while. Anyways, after doing a lot of looking around, I notice that python is just a thin wrapper around the SDL library, which is super fast. Plus, they did a lot of optimising, and they made it pretty easy to do things in your game in an optimal way. I've seen a couple people say that they were worried a game just wouldn't run on slower (ie 300mhz computers), and were suprized that it ran decently.
Besides, if you're having problems with speed, you let me know. I wouldn't want anything to get in the way of our fair competition :) (also try downloading Solar Wolf, which should be much more complex graphically than my game, and is also fun and addicting)

BTW.. I'm trying to name it, something based off of the fact that some of the peices have holes in it and such, so I'm thinking along the lines of: Rift (which sounds too much like Riven to me, but is still a cool word), Split, Schism or Chasm, Breach, Fissure.. I don't know, what do you think is good? I got suggestions of Morph and Zinger.

Anonymous said...

If there is no 2-player mode you should call the game "for dolo".

I think it's got a good ring to it.

"Yo man, check out this new game for dolo."
"I got the highest score in for dolo."
"For dolo is the shit."

Rachel said...

*facepalm* Michael.

Linden said...

lol..
thanks for the naming help guys :)

Linden said...

Oh yeah.. and as far as that two player thing.. maybe one day, but its not in the current plan..