Monday, June 27, 2005

Evil

It used to be that the word 'Evil' seemed to be reserved for stories and cartoons and the like. You know, fiction. You had your bad guy (the best of which rated as the 'evil bad guy') in your made up story that takes place in the distant past, or the remote future, or in a galaxy far, far away.. you get the point.
Maybe I'm imagining it, but it just feels like people are using 'evil' in reference to the real world more and more recently. The fact that this has happened so much that I'm noticing it through the sleepy daze and general not knowing what is going on-ness that is me disturbs me just a little. Again, I could be completely off base here, but what with the "axis of evil" (I can't help but give that a halloween leer when ever I say it in my head - as terrible as that is), Google's pledge not to be evil, and 'evil video games rotting our children's heads', it's like evil is everywhere. I almost feel like using a permanent marker and lableing a couple things as 'good' to balance things out.
Someone tell me that I'm just being wonky on a monday morning.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You know, I *sort of* take the opposite stance. I mean, especially in light of my anger towards all the crap you are currently being subjected to. Doing certain things are evil - besides the obvious serial killer variety evil. For example, leaving your cat to die. Or perhaps even betraying a relative or friend for drugs / whatever, or ... well, I could go on and on.

But my point is, people get to make way too many excuses for evil behavior, and they never change it because they never admit what they did was wrong, they just deny it to themselves. ("Oh, well, I only did that because... *insert life story / latest woes") Labeling it "evil" can sum it up nicely. Certain things should not be done, REGARDLESS of the previous circumstances. Sh*t happens, sure, but a lot of people kid themselves that it excuses ridiculously insane bad behavior.

Then of course you have the other side of things, where people randomly call things Evil. Calling people who do evil things evil is usually more about the sum of their actions - and usually it's the wrong word, "sick" would do better in most cases.
And this tendency to call random objects and concepts evil - well, that may be due to too much TV? ^_^