Thursday, January 20, 2005

Technology just isn't as cool as it used to be..

I was playing with Jim's old school rotary phone the other day, and I was wondering what it is about rotary phones thats just so cool?
I think its because they engage the senses much more than phones (and other tech) do today. They have a cool dial thing, and its heavy, and you spin it, and it makes a sweet noise as it spins back. These days, everything is a keys and a screen, maybe a mouse, nothing feels cool, or sounds cool anymore. Nothing is fun to use.
Maybe thats why I like Apple products so much. Their hardware is different, appeals to some of my other senses. They have cool mice that are a single button in themselves, you can wring the neck of the iMac G4s like a strange looking goose, the first iPod's wheel would spin and click. They're not just another hunk of black plastic.
One of the coolest cell phones I've ever seen rotated open, instead of flipping open, and had a cool joystick like button on the keypad. Little stylistic designs made it cool without even knowing what the capabilities of the phone or the games included were.
Its possible that this is just a by product of growing up. Maybe I just miss toys, which are designed to be more engaging of the senses. *le sigh* Anyways, just a thought I had

No comments: